Sunday, March 29, 2009

Unity and Images

Historically the true church has been identified as unity in purpose by serving the true God. If God's purpose is to bring about the eternal life of His children (mankind) and no greater joy can be had, then what I have experienced in growing up as a Latter Day Saint or a Latter Day Christian makes all the sense in the world. I only had to look to his Son to know what that unity really is and how eternal life is obtained. The Savior said that if you have seen me you have, in essence, seen the Father. Christ's whole life was dedicated to teaching, healing and bringing Heavenly Father's children back to his presence if they had a desire. As our elder brother he has shown us how to unconditionally love or serve each other by putting ourselves second to the Eternal God by serving him unconditionally with all our heart, might, mind and strength. In short, we reflect the Father in all that we do and say.

Selflessness is the door opener to the kingdom of heaven. When I put myself in this position of selflessness, it gives the Savior an opportunity to CHOOSE me to serve him and return with him to the Father. When I look in the mirror now I see my reflection; an image. The Bible tells me that I was made in the image of God. I look at my children, to some degree, I see an image of myself. When I look at my father I see my image. When I serve and do good things and put myself second, I see my image in the Savior. When I teach the gospel I see the image of the Savior in myself and the brother or sister that I teach.

I have seen that there is a counter to all things in this life. When I see contention I see an image. This image is of another brother. When I see chaos I see an image. When I see lying and murder and corruption I see an image. When I see anger and deceit and vulgarity I see an image. When I stop listening, reading the scriptures, taking the sacrament and feel the urgings to stay away from the organization that brings unity to the world, I see an image.

I have been extremely blessed to know the difference between two brothers that are exact opposites. I have found that I can be a reflection of either one. I often wonder which image people see in me? I am sure they at times have seen both. I am so thankful for an opportunity to try and rid myself of some of the false images I have presented in the past. My purpose now in life is to help my family and others to know the difference between these two images, that we might be an eternal family and choose to reflect our Father that we might obtain all that he has.

The Father and the Son are now one in purpose. I can be one in purpose with them by reflecting their image in my life. My wife and I are one with the Father and the Son united in an eternal bond of covenant and marriage that reflects their image. My children, my wife and I are one in Christ and the Father as we reflect a life of unity in faith and purpose. Now that Shawn and I might have an opportunity to serve as full time missionaries, (I feel like we have been serving as missionaries throughout our marriage) and can focus on those outside of our family, I pray that you all will be blessed with a desire to reflect the proper image and purpose that will bring you the most joy. When you don't I would hope that you will recognize it quickly and make the changes necessary to qualify to return to our Heavenly Father.

Please forgive me for any and all of my false images in the past. I pray that you might be able to look past them with forgiveneness and understanding that we might all be found spotless and in the image of our Father in Heaven. If we can do this, I know when we leave this life we will meet Him by way of his Son and be found not only in His image but united in His presence.

With Love,

The Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment