Saturday, March 14, 2009

Fast Sunday (January 3, 2009)

Dear Family,


A while ago I was in my Dermatologist's office and having to go through the ordeal of updating my file, the attending office person asked me what medications I was taking. To her astonishment, I replied that I was not currently taking any prescribed or over the counter medication. She made the point that it was very unusual considering my age etc. etc. You might ask, "what does this have to do with Fast Sunday?" In many instances people legitimately have a problem fasting because of medication that needs to be taken and other various reasons that I will not go into here. For me fasting has always been a celebration of sorts. I look forward to Fast Sunday and other opportunities to sacrifice the food of the flesh to obtain the food of the spirit. The reward is always greater than the sacrifice and often my health wealth and spiritual strength is improved. Why not celebrate? I could go into lots of examples of the blessings in store for those that fast.


Our Savior set the tone of fasting before he started his ministry by fasting for 40 days in the wilderness while being tempted by the father of lies. I don't know if fasting is always a test, but it certainly tries our commitment to feed the poor and look for higher spirituality and guidance and direction in our lives.


As you consider the fast this first Sunday of the New Year, I would encourage you all to make it a celebration of eternal life with our Savior's example in mind. May the Lord bless and protect you all and may you receive all the blessings living the gospel has in store for you.


Families can be together forever if we all are united in the Lord. Shawn and I will be thinking and praying for you all.


Eternally Yours,


Mom (the mean old grandma) and Dad (the grandpaaaaa) Heaton

No comments:

Post a Comment