Saturday, March 14, 2009

Missionary Service: A Holy Calling A Glorious Work (March 8, 2009)

This last week has been extremely fun and interesting as Shawn and I ventured out to Johnson City, TN to attend the blessing of Megan Kimberly. Here I thought that we were getting a taste of what missionary life might be like for us. I was not disappointed other than the fact that the church is very well organized with a large ward fully functioning with great zeal for the gospel and serving the Lord.

While there, I had an opportunity to bare my testimony in testimony meeting, go out with the missionaries and exercise Priesthood by participating in the baby blessing. All this while visiting with our dear ones Brian, Shelly, Ben, Jeff and Megan. What a glorious thing it is to know that they are well and that they are surrounded by brothers and sisters in the true church of Christ.

It is appropriate that our Priesthood lesson this week is titled, "Missionary Service: A Holy Calling A Glorious Work" As I mentioned before, I went out with the missionaries to teach a lady for the first time. Her name ironically was Jessica Ballard (nice Mormon surname eh? It gets better!). She was a half Portarican girl whose father was in the military and she also served in the military for 8 years. They had lived in Johnson City previously for a while and then moved to California. Before I went to pick the Elders up, Brian was nice enough to draw me a map on how to get to the Elders home. On the map one of the turns was just after Brother Egbert's home a member of their ward that they dearly love. They had pointed out his home earlier in the day. Through the course of discussion with Jessica about the church I mention that I was staying with my daughter and her husband off of Huffine Road. She got real excited and asked where they lived because she had lived over in that area. I said I don't know, but my son-in-law drew me a map. When I showed her the map, she pointed to where the Egbert's house was on the map and said that that is where she lived growing upin that very home. The missionaries and I told her that the people that own it are members of the church. She really wanted to go look at it, which the missionaries assured her they would more than likely be able to do.

I don't think she stands a chance of not joining the church. Too many ties to the church. She is one that has been directed to the church. I hope Brian and Shell follow up with the missionaries and let us know what happens to Jessica.

This experience has even more assured Mom and I the need to be in the mission field. We are preparing as fast as we can to bring this about. The Lord is leading the way for whatever happens. It is amazing to watch the process unfold as the Holy Ghost directs our efforts. Yesterday we rented a storage unit to put our remaining belongings in. Mom has one more Doctor appointment and then we see the Bishop and Stake President. We hope that you all will pray for us and especially for the MaMa for the strength to be able to go.

We love you all,

Mom (The mean old G'Ma) and Dad (The G'Paaaa)

P.S. "After all that has been said, the GREATEST and MOST important
duty is to preach the Gospel" Joseph Smith. Jr.
It's an easy thing to do when one is truly converted. You
can't help but share it. It just oozes out of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment